Dark Moon Burying Ground
Town of Frelinghuysen
Try our genealogy search engine
Dark Moon Burying Ground is located on the north and south side of the road in the Town of Frelinghuysen, Warren County, New Jersey.
The Upper Hardwick Presbyterian log meeting house was erected about 1763 on the south side of the road leading from Log Jail to Springdale, near the bridge over Trout Brook, and at the eastern end of a narrow ravine. A short distance up stream stood a double log tavern known from its sign, a black crescent, as Dark Moon Tavern. The name Dark Moon soon came to be applied to the meeting house, the graveyard and the ravine. The log church was abandoned in 1786 when its congregation erected the present Yellow Frame Presbyterian Church in a more central location. There a new cemetery was opened, causing the gradual abandonment of the Dark Moon Burying Ground.
Dark Moon Burying Ground Burials
- LANNING, Isaac, Sen., Elder of Hardwick Church, died Aug. 30, 1811, age 64 yrs.
- REEDER, Anne, ---- of Benjamin, died ---- 25, 1769, age -5 yrs.
- WRIGHT, John, Sen., died Aug. 6, 1797, age (?) yrs.
- WRIGHT, Mary, dau. of John and Anne, died July 9, 1791, age 17 yrs.
- WRIGHT, Infant dau. of John and Anne, died July 25, 1779, age 9 days.
- ALLEN, T., died 1796.
- HUNT, Anna, wife of Abr., born Jan. 27, 1770, died Nov. 16, 1796, age 26 yrs. 9 mos. 20 days.
- HAZEN, Ann, wife of William, born Feb. 18, 1805, died Oct. 29, 1835.
- HAZEN, James Hampton, son of William H. and Ann, born Jan. 18, 1835, died Mar. 4, 1835.
- HAZEN, William H., born May 27, 1798, died Dec. 13, 1834.
- HAZEN, Gertrude, dau. of Thos. and Amelia, died Sept. 15, 1837, age 9 yrs.
- CHIDESTER, Elcy, wife of Stephen C., died Dec. 15, 1828, age 34 yrs. 10 mos. 20 days.
- HAZEN, Gertrude, died July 31, 1841, age 79 yrs.
- HAZEN, Nathan, died May 21, 1818, age 59 yrs.
- HAZEN, Thomas, died Dec. 27, 1802, age LXIX yrs.
- HAZEN, Moses, died Oct. 11, 1799, age 23 yrs.
- LUCE, M., died Feb. 8, 1796.
- LUCE, Wm., died Mar. 8, 1796.
- SHINN, Thomas Y., died 1834, age 58 yrs.
- EGLEY, Thomas, died 1849, age 78 yrs.
- EGLEY, M., wife of Thomas, died 1849, age 44 yrs.
- E., G., died 1827, age 27 yrs.
- E., H., died 1824, age 57 yrs.
- E., C., died 1806, age 10 yrs.
- TAYLOR, Eliza O., died Oct. 4, (Year illegible).
- CRAFT, Mary M., died 1887, age 78 yrs.
- PICKERING, Watson, died 1884, age 84 yrs.
- PICKERING, Eliza, wife of Watson, died 1876, age 72 yrs.
- PICKERING, Hannah R., died 1867, age 23 yrs.
- DUBEL, Anna E., born 1832, died 1862.
- CRAFT, Watson, died 1829, age 34 yrs.
- PICKERING, Mary R., died 1843, age 22 yrs.
- KIMBLE, Howard, son of Daniel and Susan, died 1861, age 3 yrs.
- KIMBLE, Susan Pickering, wife of Daniel, born 1836, died 1896.
- KIMBLE, Daniel, born 1835, died 1915.
- FORT, Edwin, died 1846, age 16 yrs.
- FORT, Samuel, died 1866, age 65 yrs.
- FORT, Ann, born 1804, died 1886.
- MCDONNEL, Michael, died 1863, age 27 yrs.