New Horizons Genealogy

"Specializing in New England and Belknap Colonial American Ancestry"

1758 - 1778
Christ Church
Marriage Records
City of New Brunswick
Middlesex County, New Jersey

Try our genealogy search engine

A congregation in connection with the Church of England erected at New Brunswick a substantial stone church, 55 feet long, 45 feet wide, and 20 feet high, in 1744, and having subsequently provided a house and glebe, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts sent them a missionary, in the person of Mr. Wood, in 1749 or 1750. He was succeeded in 1754 by Rev. Mr. Seabury, Jr., and he in turn in 1757 by Rev. Robert McKean, who removed to Perth Amboy in 1763. Subsequent missionaries in charge were: Rev. Leonard Cutting, 1763-1766; Rev. Abraham Beach, 1767-1784. The ministers in charge thereafter were: Rev. Mr. Rowland, 1784-1785; Rev. George Ogilvie, 1787-1790; Rev. Henry Vandyke, 1791-1794; Rev. John Henry Hobart, 1799-1800.

No record of the proceedings of the church organization previous to 1790 is known to exist, nor any marriage records prior to 1800, except those given herewith: